Friday, August 20, 2010

Why I Love Spies


So if anyone hasn't noticed the current trend in t.v. shows or movies, the spy shows have us surrounded. Whether it is Burn Notice which is now on its fourth season or Covert Affairs on its first, or even Chuck, I am more than happy to say that spies have wormed their way into network television and the movies. I am sure that you could trace the spy fascination back to James Bond, but now it appears that Americans are taking over the covert scene.

For me, the true fascination with spies began with Michael Westin of USA's Burn Notice. I mean, Jeffrey Donovan isn't inherently sexy or anything, but his character's skills certainly are. I could probably write an essay or a novel on why I love spies, but I will try to keep my admiration to a shorter amount of text. So, I will begin with a list:

Why I love Michael Westin
  1. His tactical skills and all of his spy training (this pretty much covers everything he does)
  2. His ability to carry off complex operations with grace and ease
  3. His facial expressions
  4. And if you have seen the show, you know pretty much everything else.
Watching Burn Notice and other spy shows and films makes me want to join the CIA and start my training, but I cannot help but think they make it too easy. I mean, I would love to have the ability to fight someone off with a spoon or know how to assemble a flash grenade, but for now I am stuck with what little self-defense I know (go for the groin or the shins) and some pepper spray. So I have given this issue much thought and have decided the pros and cons of my becoming a spy. I will start with my abilities:

Why I would be a super terrific spy
  1. I am smart and could handle training
  2. I have an interest in mechanical work
  3. No one would expect me to be a spy if they met me
  4. I am good at organizing and making plans
  5. I like to travel
And now here are my reasons against being a spy, in addition to my family and friends laughter at the ambitious career alternative (as opposed to my being an English teacher or journalist)

Why I would be a super crappy spy
  1. I like wearing bright colors which could give me away
  2. I smile too much
  3. I'm probably too lazy to pass physical training tests
  4. I've told everyone I am going to be a spy so they might know that by now...oops
  5. I have no technical skills unless writing essays count
  6. I could probably only land a desk job at the CIA
  7. I don't like guns
So I am not sure what this means for my own pursuits of being a secret agent, but it is never too bad to keep it in mind. As far as the spy craze and the general public, I would say that it is much preferred to the Vampire fad that will hopefully fade away soon.

After all, who doesn't love a spy? Who wouldn't kill to have the ability to kill and not have to use it because you are a good enough spy to have other ways to take someone out? Whether it is out of love for the spy (the physical entity) or not, it is hard not to admire or envy the skills spies possess to solve problems.

Ultimately, spies are just risky problem-solvers who can eliminate threats to their plans with tactical force and intelligence. Who wouldn't want those abilities in everyday life? I am not forgetting the menial duties that accompany spy work, but after everything, a good spy knows how to handle their self on a very practical level that I truly envy.

This love hate relationship I have toward spies is of course a product of the shows that I am watching, but I cannot help but slip into that world of excitement and capability, and neither could anyone else who is addicted to the USA Network's lineup. So while I might just graduate an ordinary English major, I will live to write another day and that will be my relationship with spies: I can write about them.












No comments:

Post a Comment